Sunday, November 1, 2009

C'est La Vie

"He doesn't speak. You're not acknowledged here."
I stared at my father for a long moment. He didn't even react to my mother's words. What kind of family is this? I'm all but ignored. The sound of poker chips fills the room from his lap top and still no reaction, I decide that it's best not to say anything. A full family dinner without word from my dad. He sat at the table with us, but he wasn't really there. In his mind he was somewhere in Vegas with his mistress. Smoke, alcohol, gambling...
I felt more than sick, but my father had a knack for making me ill. The TV was on, it was always on, I never paid much attention anymore to what was really on it. I tried harder and harder with each day to make some sort of connection with my family. My brother was glued to the TV, my father to his laptop, and my mother was too busy trying to make us happy to really notice. I watched as she scrambled about... She deserved better. I got up, took my full plate to the sink, and left it there. I disappeared into my room and shut the door, no one would notice my absence.
I pushed play on my ipod and collapsed on my bed. I wasn't a fan of silence. I played music whenever I got the chance, mostly when I was alone. I wondered what it was like to have a family. I wondered what it was like to have a home. I wondered what it was like to live in a world where such a thing as True Love existed. What a beautiful, horrible place that must be.

No comments:

Post a Comment